Parker Street, Liverpool
- Client: Liverpool City Council
- Designer: Mott McDonald/Amey
- Contract project: January 2016
- Surface Area: November 2016
Case Study Overview
The brief for the project is to enhance and improve the public realm along Parker Street, Elliot Street and Houghton Street in Liverpool city centre. The upgrade of the steps linking Great Charlotte Street to Elliott Street is to be included as part of the project.
The existing surfacing materials, hard and soft landscaping, lighting and drainage will be removed and upgraded / replaced with new themed materials etc. The scheme also includes the installation of fixed street furniture.
Scope of works
- Vegetation clearance
- Demolition works and site clearance
- Reinforced concrete foundations
- Installation of Granite Paving Stones
- Bound paving construction involving proprietary jointing and bedding materials
- Installation of kerbs, channels and edgings
- Drainage works including new manholes, carrier drains and gullies
- Ducting, trenching and cable installation
- Street lighting works, column relocations and architectural lighting
- Street furniture including benches and planters
- Construction of new tree pits for street trees
- Installation of Water/Electric kiosks
- Installation of Granite blocks to form an ornamental staircase with seating areas and handrails
Key Collaborative Aspects
Collaboration with Amey, Mott McDonald, BCA Landscape and Hardscape. Key Liaison was required with the project being within the shopping district of Liverpool City centre. Various construction techniques where required due to the geographical location of the works, number of businesses effected by the works and high volume of pedestrians throughout the construction period.